Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Transitioning Introvert

As I find myself about to graduate college, I reflect on the major changes I have seen in myself, and coming out of my shell is definitely one of them.

When I arrived at TLU, I was quiet, shy, "mean looking," and in all ways a loner. I was afraid that people would not like me, or agree with my opinion. I was afraid that I would not fit in. Many would say that every freshman goes through this, but mine carried over into my sophomore year. I realized, I wasn't so much afraid, as much as I just preferred to be alone in my own world. As the years went on I began to love and embrace that about myself. However on this journey I learned more than I could ever imagine about myself. I found my voice, and I don't just mean in the choir, but in life, I learned that in order to understand in class, you actually have to talk to the professors. WHO KNEW?! I learned how to be able to speak in front of a group of people without my anxiety turning my speech into a foreign language. Seriously, if someone had told me I would be the president of BSU and my chapter of my sorority, as well as the Co Director of SHABACH Gospel Choir, I never would have believed them. Life lessons and TLU got me there.

I walk around campus now communicating with faculty and staff, students, and sometimes people I don't even know. It is a blessings to know some of the amazing people I have met just from speaking up.

So as I am about to transition into "the real world" I will remember my journey and lessons at TLU and be proud of what I learned and who I am because you never know what life has to offer you. I walked into TLU all around introvert, however I will leave TLU a happy and proud ambivert.

5 comments:

  1. Its amazing to see how much you'ce changed how much you're trying to come out of your shell and be more open. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have definitely enjoyed the journey!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you talked to me. You were one of the first people I knew because of LSL. I'm going to miss you!! :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww! See getting out of my comfort zone allowed me to meet sweet people like you. I'm glad I talked to you to! I shall miss you, but I'm only a message or blog away if you need me!

      Delete
  3. My friends are always telling me that they thought I was mean when they first met me. I'm not, and I'm not quiet either once you get to know me, but because there are a lot of people I choose not to talk to they think I'm mean...

    ReplyDelete