Sunday, December 9, 2012

Opposites Attract



     I have found over the years, that although I prefer to be alone, listening to music, writing poetry or singing, I am attracted to people who like to do just the opposite. I am attracted to extroverts.       
     
        All through out high school, and most of my college days, I have been friends with the athletes, the party girls, the populars, who we all know, although they are not guaranteed to be extroverts, they enjoy the spotlights, the attention, and going out all the time. While this is not my forte, I guess I find it refreshing and somewhat exciting to be around people who live for the moment, who live for the day.                 
         
            It happens in friendship as well. My current roommate is the girl that everyone knows. Although she is from a small town, she has big girl dreams. She speaks her mind no matter what, no matter where, regardless of the topic. She is the first person on the dance floor and getting people active at the parties. These things complete opposite of my personality, she is one of the realest people I know and our friendship means so much to me. Although it was a challenge at first, she has accepted that I am not the same and she. I prefer to stay in when she goes out. I like to think before I speak. Regardless she has been there for me from day one.   
       The same can be said for my significant other. He is one of the most outspoken, life loving, people pleasing, entertainer I have ever met. While I did think he talked to much and was a pain when we first met, once I gave him the chance, I learned that our personalities could not be more perfect for each other. His craziness balances my calmness. His family is more carefree, while mine is quite up tight at times, and as we all know, we are the product of our families. However, he and his family bring me the most laughter and joy I have experienced my whole life and, according to him, my family provides him with more support, guidance and understanding than he has ever experienced.     
        
          The best thing to do is to embrace each others differences. The extrovert can bring new people into the introvert's life, and the introvert can create peaceful spaces in the home and in the relationship. The differences can enhance the relationship the two work with the differences rather than fighting over them. 
       
          Based on these facts, I would argue that although in life, the world would place us against each other, there are ways in which introverts and extroverts are compatible in friendship, in love, and in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment