Sunday, December 9, 2012

Introversion In the Classroom


Teachers always encourage student involvement in class, from reading an excerpt from a book, to answering a question, or even group work, and many students are will to participate in it, but the introverts are uncomfortable with it.

Being an introvert has its challenges on its own, however, being an introvert in the classroom can be difficult.  Those same misunderstandings that the outside world holds about introverts also cross over into the learning environment. Due to the uncomfortable vibe given off by the student, the teacher too becomes uncomfortable, developing his or her own thoughts and ideas about it.

A common misperception about the introverted student is that the student’s lack of participation is because he or she lacks motivation or doesn’t understand, however neither is neither is true, this I know from personal experience.

As you all know, I am a communications major, but believe it or not, it was miscommunication between myself and my advisor that lead me to being a more extroverted introvert, in terms of communication.

For years, I sat in the classroom listening and observing; avoiding getting called on to interact. It was not because I did not understand or because I lacked motivation, but simply because it is what I am comfortable doing. I sat in class taking notes or just writing my thoughts, but never engaging in conversation because I feel I can learn my just by listening. However, around my junior year in college, my advisor/professor and I had a bit of a heated misunderstanding.

Over the years she was the professor thinking I lacked motivation, or in her words, “did not care.” I had always gotten a weird vibe from her, but it wasn’t until her views of me threatened my job at the university, one that I valued, that I was forced to speak up for myself and clear the air. By the end of our conversation, the professor and I were on the same page and she apologized for her assumptions, assumptions that could have been cleared up by a simple act, pulling me aside and confronting me about her concerns.

A lesson was learned on both parts, I to not completely shut myself out of every situation, and she address the situation rather than working based off of assumption.

Although it is hard, this is where the steps mentioned in my first blog post come into play for an introvert to avoid such obstacles. We cannot be afraid or complacent in every situation; there comes a point in time where everyone needs to speak up.

So my advice and challenge to you all today is, NEVER be afraid to speak up! 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Education as we practice it does reward extroverted behaviors in the classroom, so it is wise for us introverts to learn to do some of them. At the same time, it's also important for professors to include opportunities for introverts to demonstrate their mastery of the subject matter in ways that are comfortable for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I have thought about the challenge of knowing whether someone is an introvert or just not concerned with what is going on? How would you know the difference?

      Delete